Dec 3, 2008

KING KHAN IS NOW KNIGHTED !!

PETALING JAYA: Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan says he is humbled by being awarded a Datukship. He apologised for not receiving the honour in person during Malacca Yang di-Pertua Negri Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob's birthday on Oct 11.

"I would also like to thank the Malaysian government, my friends, fans and Malaysians who have showed me so much love," said the popular actor, clearing the controversy of whether he was reluctant to accept the award.

Shah Rukh was awarded the Darjah Mulia Seri Melaka (DMSM) which carries the title "Datuk".

Datuk Khan: Photo taken on Nov 2 showing Shah Rukh waving to fans from his home in Mumbai. He will be in Malacca on Saturday to receive his Datukship. — AFP

Speaking in an exclusive phone interview with mStar Online yesterday from his palatial mansion Mannat in Bandra, Mumbai, Shah Rukh could not contain his excitement when talking about the award.

"After I heard about the award, I have not stopped telling everyone around the world – in the United States, Britain and South Africa – that I have been knighted," he said.

He said he only came to know about the award when he arrived in Singapore during the first week of November for the Zee Carnival.

"I saw it in the papers at the airport and was so surprised. I asked my friend who picked me up and he told me it's a prestigious award, akin to the British knighthood.

"I would have stayed back if I had known much earlier.

"Again, I apologise," said Shah Rukh, who also had to reschedule the Nov 28 ceremony as he was not well.

"We were completely in communication with the Malacca government but because of my very tight schedule and me falling sick, there was no way I could have come earlier," he said.

Shah Rukh said he was quite thrilled at the thought of donning the traditional official black baju Melayu, samping and songkok to receive the award.

"What made this honour so profound was that it was given by a country that does not even speak my language.

"I have so much love for Malaysia. I shoot my movies there, take my family for holidays and visit my friends.

"This special honour is such a humbling experience," he said.

Asked about the controversy over the award, with some saying that he was not deserving of it, Shah Rukh said:

"I do not have to read about myself in the papers. I know who I am and what I deserve.

"Whatever people write about me, be it positive or negative, will not change anything.

"I am a bit self-centred in that sense. I am my own best friend," he said.

He added: "I have got a Padmashree in India. I have been honoured in Malaysia and France. I'm at Madame Tussaud's. I have a 2 billion rupee (RM150mil) turnover for the work I do.

"I've got a lovely house, beautiful children, lovely family.

"I've got beautiful friends in Malaysia. What more could I ask for. I thank God for all these blessings."

Shah Rukh confirmed he will be receiving the award at 10am on Saturday at the Dewan Seri Negri, Ayer Keroh in Malacca.

The event will see some 1,000 invited guests attending.

"It would be a day trip and I will leave the next morning. I cannot stay longer as I have a movie launch and press conference to attend to in Mumbai.

"Otherwise, I would have loved to stay on," he said.

He will be releasing his new movie Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi next week

1 comment:

  1. Hi this is dhawal. I am 15 years old. I like your nature very much.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 ::: Welcome To ShahRukh Khan News Blog (unofficial) ::: | Designed With By Blogger Templates | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates
Scroll To Top